Monday, April 04, 2005

I loved you enough (for our children)

Some day when my children are old enough to understand the logic that motivates a parent, I will tell them: I loved you enough to to ask you where you were going, with whom, and what time will you be home. I love you enough to insist that you save your money & buy a bike for yourself even though we could afford to buy you one. I loved you enough to be silent & let you discover that your new best friend was a creep. I loved you enough to make you take rubber bands or crayons back to the store & tell the clerk " I stole this yesterday & I want to pay for it." I loved you enough to stand over you for two hours while you cleaned your room, a job that would have taken me fifteen minutes. I loved you enough to let you see anger, disapointment & tears in my eyes. Children must learn that their parents aren't perfect. I loved you enough to let you assume responsibility for your actions, even whenthe penalties were so harsh they almost broke my heart. But most of all, I loved you enough to say NO when I knew you would hate me for it. Those are the most difficult battles of all. I'm glad I am winning them, because in the end, you win too. I LOVE YOU BOTH...

1 comment:

Country Princess said...

O yeah I did my job well then...